Download Technology & Engineering ebook, John Wiley & Sons, Cathleen Shamieh, Gordon McComb.
Electronics For Dummies
by Cathleen Shamieh, Gordon McComb
You can make all sorts of things, once you understand what electronics is and how it works. This book helps you out with that part, explaining the whole thing in plain English. Learn how electricity functions, how to harness it and put it to work, what tools you need to build circuits, what you can make with them, and how to do it safely.
- Mystery solved – understand what makes your iPod, remote control, and computer work
- Essential stuff – outfit your electronics lab with all the necessary tools, including some that will surprise you
- Schematic road maps – learn to read schematics and understand how they help your project get where it’s going
- Symbols of power – recognize all the identifiers for power sources, grounds, and components
- Tools of the trade – discover how to use a multimeter, logic probe, oscilloscope, and solderless breadboard
- Break it down – get to know the ins and outs of components such as resistors, capacitors ,diodes and transistors
- Getting it together – find out how integrated circuits make all the rest possible and learn to work with them
- & Analyze it – understand the rules that govern current and voltage and learn how to apply them
Open the book and find:
- The difference between electronics and electricity
- A list of essential tools
- Cool projects you can build quickly
- Great places to find parts
- Important safety tips
- What a sine wave is
- Interesting stuff about speakers, buzzers, and DC motors
- Ohm’s Law and how to use it
Electronics For Dummies
by Dickon Ross, Cathleen Shamieh, Gordon McComb
Electronics For Dummies, UK Editioncovers everything from understanding the technology behind day-to-day gadgets, to reading a schematic, getting to grips with multimeters, and devising projects that are both useful and fun. With UK-specific information on where to purchase components for your workbench and the most useful websites and resources, this essential guide will get you up, running, and switched on in no time.
Electronics For Dummies, UK Edition includes:
Part I: Understanding The Fundamentals of Electronics
- Chapter 1: What is Electronics and What Can It Do For You?
- Chapter 2: Moving Electrons to Make Something Happen
- Chapter 3: Meeting Up with Resistance
- Chapter 4: Getting a Charge Out of Capacitors
- Chapter 5: Curling Up With Coils and Crystals
- Chapter 6: The Wide World of Semiconductors
- Chapter 7: Packing Parts Together on Integrated Circuits
- Chapter 8: Rounding Out Your Parts List
Part II: Getting Your Hands Dirty
- Chapter 9: Setting Up Shop and Ensuring Your Safety
- Chapter 10: Reading Schematics
- Chapter 11: Constructing Circuits
- Chapter 12: Measuring and Analysing Circuits
Part III: Putting Theory Into Practice
- Chapter 13: Exploring Some Learning Circuits
- Chapter 14: Great Projects You Can Build in 30 Minutes or Less
- Chapter 15: Cool Robot Projects to Amaze Your Friends and Family
Part IV: The Part of Tens
- Chapter 16: Ten (Or So) Terrific Tips to Help You Succeed
- Chapter 17: Ten Great Electronics Parts Sources
- Chapter 18: Ten Electronics Formulas You Should Know
Appendix: Internet Resources
- Getting Up to Speed with Tutorials and General Information
- Figuring Things Out with Calculators
- Surfing for Circuits
- Asking Questions in Discussion Forums
- Getting Things Surplus
Wind Power For Dummies
by Ian Woofenden
Maybe you’re not T. Boone Pickens, but you can build your own home-sized wind-power empire right in your back yard. Wind Power For Dummies supplies all the guidance you need to install and maintain a sustainable, cost-effective wind generator to power your home for decades to come.
This authoritative, plain-English guide walks you through every step of the process, from assessing your site and available wind sources to deciding whether wind power is the solution for you, from understanding the mechanics of wind power and locating a contractor to install your system to producing your own affordable and sustainable electricity.
- Guides you step by step through process of selecting, installing, and operating a small-scale wind generator to power your home
- Demystifies system configurations, terminology, and wind energy principles to help you speak the language of the pros
- Helps assess and reduce your energy needs and decide whether wind power is right for you
- Explains the mechanics of home-based wind power
- Shows you how to tie into the grid and sell energy back to the power company
- Offers advice on evaluating all of the costs of and financing for your project
- Provides tips on working with contractors and complying with local zoning laws
Yes, you can do it, with a little help from Wind Power For Dummies.
IT Disaster Recovery Planning For Dummies
by Peter H. Gregory
IT Disaster Recovery Planning For Dummies shows you how to get started by creating a safety net while you work out the details of your major plan. The right plan will get your business back on track quickly, whether you’re hit by a tornado or a disgruntled employee with super hacking powers. Here’s how to assess the situation, develop both short-term and long-term plans, and keep your plans updated.
This easy-to-understand guide will help you
- Prepare your systems, processes, and people for an organized response to disaster when it strikes
- Identify critical IT systems and develop a long-range strategy
- Select and train your disaster recovery team
- Conduct a Business Impact Analysis
- Determine risks to your business from natural or human-made causes
- Get management support
- Create appropriate plan documents
- Test your plan
Some disasters get coverage on CNN, and some just create headaches for the affected organization. With IT Disaster Recovery Planning For Dummies, you’ll be prepared for anything from hackers to hurricanes!
Beginning HTML5 and CSS3 For Dummies
by Ed Tittel, Chris Minnick
Your full-color, friendly guide to getting started with HTML5 and CSS3!
HTML and CSS are essential tools for creating dynamic websites and help make your websites even more effective and unique. This friendly-but-straightforward guide gets you started with the basics of the latest versions of HTML and CSS: HTML5 and CSS3. Introducing you to the syntax and structure of the languages, this helpful guide shows you how to create and view a web page, explains ideal usage of HTML5 and CSS3, walks you through the CSS3 rules and style sheets, addresses common mistakes and explains how to fix them, and explores interesting HTML5 tools.
- Serves as an ideal introduction to HTML5 and CSS3 for beginners with little to no web development experience
- Details the capabilities of HTML5 and CSS3 and how to use both to create responsive, practical, and well-designed websites
- Helps you understand how HTML5 and CSS3 are the foundation upon which hundreds of millions of web pages are built
- Features full-color illustrations to enhance your learning process
Beginning HTML5 and CSS3 For Dummies is the perfect first step for getting started with the fundamentals of web development and design.
Wiring Your Digital Home For Dummies
by Dennis C. Brewer, Paul A. Brewer
- Beef up your home’s wiring infrastructure and control systems to accommodate the latest digital home products.
- Upgrade wiring in your existing home room-by-room, system-by-system or wire the home you’re building.
- Learn wiring for the latest digital home technologies — whole home audio, outdoor audio, VoIP, PA systems, security systems with Web cams, home theater, home networking, alarms, back-up systems, and more.
- Perfect whether you do your own electrical work or want to talk intelligently to an electrical contractor.
Getting an Information Security Job For Dummies
by Peter H. Gregory
Do you want to equip yourself with the knowledge necessary to succeed in the Information Security job market? If so, you’ve come to the right place. Packed with the latest and most effective strategies for landing a lucrative job in this popular and quickly-growing field, Getting an Information Security Job For Dummies provides no-nonsense guidance on everything you need to get ahead of the competition and launch yourself into your dream job as an Information Security (IS) guru. Inside, you’ll discover the fascinating history, projected future, and current applications/issues in the IS field. Next, you’ll get up to speed on the general educational concepts you’ll be exposed to while earning your analyst certification and the technical requirements for obtaining an IS position. Finally, learn how to set yourself up for job hunting success with trusted and supportive guidance on creating a winning resume, gaining attention with your cover letter, following up after an initial interview, and much more.
- Covers the certifications needed for various jobs in the Information Security field
- Offers guidance on writing an attention-getting resume
- Provides access to helpful videos, along with other online bonus materials
- Offers advice on branding yourself and securing your future in Information Security
If you’re a student, recent graduate, or professional looking to break into the field of Information Security, this hands-on, friendly guide has you covered.
Hobby Farming For Dummies
by Theresa A. Husarik
You’ll get a real idea of what it really means to jump from your current lifestyle to a life farming in the countryside. You’ll get the information you need to decide if the farming lifestyle is right for you and your personality. You’ll learn everything you need to know about property and how to access a power supply. You’ll get practical advice on which animals would work best for your farm and you’ll learn how to acquire them and what you need to know about caring for them properly. You’ll get help with all of the major decisions like whether you’re better off with subsistence farming or a more ambitious project. Find out how to:
- Make from change to a farm lifestyle
- Get along with your neighbors
- Find and buy rural properties
- Select and maintain equipment
- Raise and care for animals
- Use and preserve food items
- Avoid common farming pitfalls
- Choose plans for your farm
Complete with lists of the ten unique opportunities for fun and the top ten misconceptions about farm living, Hobby Farming For Dummies will help you discover how you can live the simple life.
Ruby on Rails For Dummies
by Barry Burd
Use this free and easy programming language for e-commerce sites and blogs
If you need to build Web and database applications quickly but you don’t dream in computer code, take heart! Ruby on Rails was created for you, and this book will have you up and running in no time. The Ruby scripting language and the Rails framework let you create full-featured Web applications fast. It’s even fun!
Discover how to
- Install and run Ruby and Rails
- Use the RadRails IDE
- Create a blog with Ruby
- Connect your Web site to a database
- Build a shopping cart
- Explore Ruby’s syntax
Building a Web Site For Dummies
by David A. Crowder
An effective Web site is the key to success for every venture from class reunions to major corporations. And since Web technology changes rapidly, Building a Web Site For Dummies, 4th Edition is fully updated for the cutting-edge tools and trends.
If you need to build and maintain a Web site, even if your experience is severely limited, this book makes it easy and fun. You’ll learn to plan, design, create, launch, and maintain your site using the most up-to-date tools.
- A quality Web presence is essential in today’s marketplace, and many individuals charged with creating one are unaware of the challenges
- This guide gives novice Web designers the tools and know-how to plan, design, and build effective Web sites
- Provides a nuts-and-bolts guide to site-building, including coverage of HTML, WYSIWYG construction software, CSS, and navigation plans
- Shows how to spruce up your site with topnotch graphics, video, and great content
- Guides you through getting your site online, promoting it, and even making money from it
Building a Web Site For Dummies, 4th Edition is the tool every first-time Web designer needs to build a professional-looking site.