Download Technology & Engineering, House & Home ebook, John Wiley & Sons, Ian Woofenden.
Wind Power For Dummies
by Ian Woofenden
Maybe you’re not T. Boone Pickens, but you can build your own home-sized wind-power empire right in your back yard. Wind Power For Dummies supplies all the guidance you need to install and maintain a sustainable, cost-effective wind generator to power your home for decades to come.
This authoritative, plain-English guide walks you through every step of the process, from assessing your site and available wind sources to deciding whether wind power is the solution for you, from understanding the mechanics of wind power and locating a contractor to install your system to producing your own affordable and sustainable electricity.
- Guides you step by step through process of selecting, installing, and operating a small-scale wind generator to power your home
- Demystifies system configurations, terminology, and wind energy principles to help you speak the language of the pros
- Helps assess and reduce your energy needs and decide whether wind power is right for you
- Explains the mechanics of home-based wind power
- Shows you how to tie into the grid and sell energy back to the power company
- Offers advice on evaluating all of the costs of and financing for your project
- Provides tips on working with contractors and complying with local zoning laws
Yes, you can do it, with a little help from Wind Power For Dummies.
Trumpet For Dummies
by Jeffrey Reynolds
Listening to a trumpet trilla series of high notes during a military march or wail longingly during a blues rendition-is a pleasure second to none. And masters, including Wynton Marsalis and Louis Armstrong, have made the trumpet truly Gabriel’s horn, one of the most eloquent voices in classical music and jazz. Yet even a virtuoso begins somewhere. This down-to-earth and user-friendly guide shows those new to the trumpet everything they need know to play the instrument-from basic technique (including getting a good sound), caring for a trumpet, and learning pieces from many musical genres.
- Demonstrates how to play classical, pop, jazz, and Latin-with audio samples on the enclosed CD-ROM
- Includes tips on how to buy or rent the best instrument
An ideal guide for students just learning the trumpet, or students who need a little boost, or fans of the trumpet who’ve never got around to learning it, here is the complete guide to making one of the world’s most popular-and beloved instruments-their own.
Note: CD-ROM/DVD and other supplementary materials are not included as part of eBook file.
Baby & Toddler Sleep Solutions For Dummies
by Arthur Lavin, MD, Susan Glaser, MA
Find your way to your family’s best sleep solutions!
Do you wonder whether you’ll ever sleep through the night again? Relax! This reassuring guide provides the essential information you need to help your kids to go to sleep — and stay asleep — all night long, whatever their age or stage of development. So cheer up — a good night’s sleep is just pages away!
* Foster healthy sleep patterns for life
Tailor your approach to your child’s personality
Establish bedtime rules in a nurturing way
Handle snoring, night terrors, bedwetting, and other distressing issues
Managing Anxiety with CBT For Dummies
by Graham C. Davey, Kate Cavanagh, Fergal Jones, Lydia Turner, Adrian Whittington
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is a hugely popular self-help technique, which teaches you to break free from destructive or negative behaviors and make positive changes to both your thoughts and your actions. This practical guide to managing anxiety with CBT will help you understand your anxiety, identify solutions to your problems, and maintain your gains and avoid relapse.
Managing Anxiety with CBT For Dummies is a practical guide to using CBT to face your fears and overcome anxiety and persistent, irrational worries. You’ll discover how to put extreme thinking into perspective and challenge negative, anxiety-inducing thoughts with a range of effective CBT techniques to help you enjoy a calmer, happier life.
- Helps you understand anxiety and how CBT can help
- Guides you in making change and setting goals
- Gives you tried-and-true CBT techniques to face your fears and keep a realistic perspective
Managing Anxiety with CBT For Dummies gives you the tools you need to overcome anxiety and expand your horizons for a healthy, balanced life.
Growing Your Own Fruit and Veg For Dummies
by Geoff Stebbings
Growing you own produce is the only way to enjoy delicious, garden-fresh fruit and veg all year round. This practical manual gives you the lowdown on everything from finding the right tools and choosing which plants to grow, to nurturing your crops and bringing in your first harvest. The easy-to-follow advice will help you get started straight away and become a confident and successful kitchen gardener.
• Get going with growing – discover which plants are best for you and how to make the most of your outdoor space
• Prepare your plot – learn how to set up and maintain healthy beds for your fruit and vegetables
• Grow tasty veg – choose your favourite veggies from asparagus and broccoli to courgettes, sweet corn and many more
• Grow your own fruit salad – get quick results from fast-growing berries and learn to nurture slow-growing tree fruit and exotic greenhouse produce
Stretching For Dummies
by LaReine Chabut
Stretching for Dummies shows you that stretching is actually easy to do—and reveals how you can reap the amazing benefits of stretching anywhere, anytime. It explains in simple terms how you can stand taller, look thinner, keep stress from getting the best of you, keep your muscles from feeling achy, and nip injuries in the bud. You’ll discover:
- The why’s, where’s, when’s, and how’s of letting loose and snapping back
- How to keep from hurting yourself
- The benefits of stretching with a partner
- How to target specific areas: such as head, shoulders, knees, and toes
- The art of breathing correctly
- How to use stretching to sooth lower back pain
- Stretches to start and end your day right
- Stretches you can do at your desk
- Stretches for various stages of life—including stretches for kids and seniors
This easy-to-use reference also includes a list of ten surprising around-the house stretching accessories, along with ten common aches and pain that stretching can help. Regardless of how old or young you are, Stretching for Dummies will introduce you to a kinder and gentler form of flexibility that will reduce that nagging tension and tenderness in your muscles and truly make you feel good all over.
Yoga All-In-One For Dummies
by Larry Payne, Georg Feuerstein, Sherri Baptiste, Doug Swenson, Stephan Bodian, LaReine Chabut, Therese Iknoian
If you want to incorporate yoga into your daily routine or ramp up what you’re already doing, Yoga All-In-One For Dummies is the perfect resource! This complete compendium of six separate titles features everything you need to improve your health and peace of mind with yoga, and includes additional information on, stretching, meditation, adding weights to your yoga workouts, and power yoga moves.
Yoga has been shown to have numerous health benefits, ranging from better flexibility and athletic performance to lowered blood pressure and weight loss. For those who want to take control of their health and overall fitness, yoga is the perfect practice. With Yoga All-In-One For Dummies, you’ll have everything you need to get started and become a master of even the toughest yoga poses and techniques.
- Find out how to incorporate yoga to foster health, happiness, and peace of mind
- Get a complete resource, featuring information from six titles that are packed with tips
- Use companion workout videos to help you master various yoga poses and techniques that are covered in the book
- Utilize tips in the book to increase balance, range of motion, flexibility, strength, and overall fitness
Take a deep breath and dive into Yoga All-In-One For Dummies to find out how you can improve your health and your happiness by incorporating yoga into your daily routine.
Glycemic Index Diet For Dummies
by Meri Reffetto
The glycemic load is a ranking system for carbohydrate-rich food that measures the amount of carbohydrates in a serving. The glycemic index indicates how rapidly a carbohydrate is digested and released as glucose (sugar) into the bloodstream. Using the Glycemic Index is a proven method for calculating the way carbohydrates act in your body to help you lose weight, safely, quickly, and effectively.
The second edition of The Glycemic Index Diet For Dummies presents this system in an easy-to-apply manner, giving you the tools and tips you need to shed unwanted pounds and improve your overall health. You’ll not only discover how to apply the glycemic index to your existing diet plan, but you’ll also get new and updated information on how to develop a healthy lifestyle.
- Recommends foods that boost metabolism, promote weight loss, and provide longer-lasting energy
- Features delicious GI recipes for glycemic-friendly cooking at home
- Includes exercises for maintaining glycemic index weight loss and promoting physical fitness
- Offers guidance on shopping for food as well as eating at restaurants and away from home
Glycemic Index Diet For Dummies, 2nd Edition is for anyone looking for an easy-to-apply guide to making the switch to this healthy lifestyle.
Personal Development All-In-One For Dummies
by Rhena Branch, Mike Bryant, Kate Burton, Peter Mabbutt, Jeni Mumford, Romilla Ready, Rob Willson
Personal Development All-in-One For Dummies is a complete guide to the key techniques that help you master your thoughts: Neuro-linguistic Programming (NLP), Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Life Coaching and Hypnotherapy. Discover the basic principles of each approach and receive sensible, practical and effective expert advice on how each one can help you challenge negative beliefs and change your attitudes. Whether you wish to conquer an anxiety, beat an addiction or simply think more positively, here you will find proven and popular methods that you can use to make major changes – improving your personal power and creating the life you want.
Personal Development All-in-One For Dummies will include:
Book I: Essential Concepts
Exploring the Key Themes of NLP
Understanding Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Introducing Life Coaching
Book II: Neuro-Linguistic Programming
Taking Charge of Your Life
Reaching Beyond the Words People Say
Exploring the Amazing Power of Your Senses
Opening The Toolkit
Understanding the Psychology Behind Your Habits and Behaviours
Book III: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Correcting Your Thinking
Overcoming Obstacles to Progress
Putting CBT into Action
Taking a Fresh Look at Your Past
Setting Your Sights on Goals
Book IV: Hypnotherapy
Taking A Separate View of Yourself
Considering How Hypnotherapy Can Help
Expanding the Reach of Hypnotherapy
Book V: Life Coaching
Introducing Your Coaching Journey
Visualising Your Whole-Life Goals
Becoming Your Best Self
Focusing on the Elements of Your Life
Physical, Mental and Emotional Wellbeing Developing and Growing
Gardening All-in-One For Dummies
by The National Gardening Association, Bob Beckstrom, Karan Davis Cutler, Kathleen Fisher, Phillip Giroux, Judy Glattstein, Michael MacCaskey, Bill Marken, Charlie Nardozzi, Sally Roth, Marcia Tatroe, Lance Walheim, Ann Whitman
—Sir Francis Bacon
National surveys show that gardening has become the most popular, least exclusive hobby nationwide. From the balconies of Manhattan to the patios of Malibu to the backyards of Chicago, anybody with a few square feet of earth is doing their best to make their little corner of the world more gracious and beautiful. And the best thing is, you really don’t have to be born with a green thumb to give life to a glorious garden. Anybody can do it with a little coaching. Which is where Gardening All-in-One For Dummies comes in.
Puzzled by pruning? Baffled by bulbs? Can’t tell a hosta from a hyacinth? Don’t worry! This all-in-one reference delivers the know-how you need to transform your little patch of the outdoors into a blooming paradise. Drawing upon the expertise of the National Gardening Association, it gets you up to speed on:
- Basic gardening skills—from understanding your microclimate to using gardening tools to managing pests and common plant diseases
- How to design, plan and build a garden landscape that reflects your unique sense of style
- Selecting, planting and maintaining stunning roses
- Building a raised bed for your perennials and making them bloom in any climate
- Choose, grow and maintain annuals
- From amaryllis to spider dahlias to wood tulips—coaxing beauty from homely bulbs
- Enjoying nature’s bounty by growing you own vegetables and herbs
A veritable encyclopedia of gardening, this Gardening All-in-One For Dummies is an indispensable resource for novices and experienced gardeners alike. It brings together between the covers of a single volume seven great books covering:
- Gardening Basics
- Garden Design
- Vegetables and Herbs
Your one-step guide to a beautiful garden, Gardening All-in-One For Dummies shows you how to experience the “purest of human pleasures” in your own backyard.