Download ebook, Pearson Education, Margreet Kwakernaak.
Dutch for Dummies
by Margreet Kwakernaak
Gaps and Dummies
by Hans Bennis
The assumption that clauses must have a subject is present in most, if not all, linguistic theories. In GB theory the requirement that clauses have a subject is stipulated as a consequence of the base rules or the Extended Projection Principle. In this book it is claimed that no such stipulation is necessary. The presence of a subject is exclusively determined by the theories of thematic roles and Case.
This view is supported by the fact that the alleged dummy subjects Dutch, i.e. er and het, show a variety of properties, which can only be explained if they are not analyzed as dummy subjects. Further confirmation is derived from the fact that Dutch, subjectless sentences are found in precisely those circumstances in which neither -theory nor Case theory requires a subject to be present.
Chapter 1 presents a theory of empty categories. This theory enables us to explain the distribution of gaps, and makes precise and correct predictions with respect to the occurrence of parasitic gaps.
The non-dummy status of het, discussed in chapter 2, is supported by the fact that it can be the antecedent of PRO, reflexives, and parasitic gaps, and by an asymmetry in wh-movement from sentential complements. The analysis of het leads to a discussion of a variety of constructions, including constructions with raising, ergative, and psychological verbs.
The adverbial pronoun er displays several distinct syntactic functions. In chapter 3 it is argued that none of these different functions justifies an analysis of er as a dummy subject.
In chapter 4 some of the consequences of the theory introduced in the preceding chapters are investigated. These include a discussion of the status of the subject position in languages such as English, Italian, French, and Spanish, the structure of Old English, and the status of dummy pronouns in German and English.
- Country Cooking (cast-iron cooking, canning, pickling, and outdoor cooking, among other topics)
- Traditional Crafts (sheering animals and producing wool, knitting, hand sewing, patchwork and quilting, candle making)
- Kitchen Gardening (growing and caring for vegetables, herbs, and fruit)
- Outdoor Skills (camp skills, fishing, navigation, outdoor family fun)
- Raising Farm Animals (buying, housing, and raising animals, beekeeping)
- Natural Health (herbal remedies, an encyclopedia of herbs, and healing foods)
Soccer For Dummies
by Thomas Dunmore, Scott Murray
- Get a handle on soccer rules and regulations
- Grasp the basic moves and plays
- Improve dribbling, passing, and other skills
- Appreciate this popular pastime
Learn the basics, improve your game knowledge, and reach your soccer playing goals
Do you get a kick out of soccer? Whether you’re a youth league player, a soccer parent, or a World Cup fan, here at last is the book you’ve been waiting for. Now updated with the latest history, stats, and rules of this popular sport, Soccer For Dummies is the ultimate guide to the greatest and most popular sport on the planet.
- Kick off — get a beginner’s history of soccer, from its early days in China to the modern game that’s showcased in stadiums and played on soccer fields all across the globe
- Get to the nitty-gritty — discover the rules of the game, what each player on the field is expected to do, the tactics they employ, and the skills they need to play
- The biggest sport in the world — explore everything about the professional game of soccer, from the biggest show on earth — the FIFA World Cup — to other international tournaments such as the European Championships, Copa America, and the CONCACAF Gold Cup
- For fans — find out what you can expect at a professional soccer game, as well as the lowdown on where you can find soccer on television, online, in newspapers, magazines, books, movies, and on DVDs
Open the book and find:
- How soccer is played (and scored)
- Tips on coaching, how to keep fit, and how to play “the beautiful game”
- An in-depth look at women’s soccer
- How club soccer is organized across the world
- Important international and club teams
- Fun soccer facts and interesting tidbits
- A look at the game’s most fascinating players
Starting an Online Business For Dummies
by Greg Holden
Starting an Online Business for Dummies will show you how easy it is to get your ideas off the ground and on the Web. You’ll be able to take advantage of everything an online business has to offer, without an MBA or years of experience! This updated, hands-on guide gives you the tools you need to:
- Establish and promote your business
- Advertise your site
- Build a business with online auctions
- Keep your business legal and lawsuit free
- Impress customers in the virtual world
- Publicize your business with Google, Yahoo!, and Microsoft
- Conduct electronic payments
- Utilize VoIP, site feeds, blogging, and affiliate marketng
You’ll soon begin to realize that online business is not confined to large corporations or even businesses with storefronts. With this handy, straightforward guide, you will have your business online and ready to go in no time. There’s also a chapter on hot new ways to make money online, such as selling on Amazon or promoting on Flickr. The 5th edition of Starting an Online Business for Dummies helps you help your business can reach its full potential!
Rabbits For Dummies
by Connie Isbell, Audrey Pavia
Your hands-on guide to being a responsible rabbit owner
Want to raise a happy, healthy bunny? This practical guide gives you everything you need to know to successfully adopt, nurture, live with, and love a rabbit. From choosing a rabbit and preparing its home to training, healthcare, and having fun with your bunny, you get a wealth of expert tips that will have your rabbit (and you) hopping with joy!
Jump into bunny basics — decide whether a rabbit is the right pet for you, discover the different breeds, and find out the best places to adopt your bunny
Take care of creature comforts — from housing and grooming to feeding and healthcare, provide the best care for your friend
Practice bunny “psychology” — understand bunny body language and sounds, handle behavior issues, and train your bunny to do tricks and use the litter box
Enjoy the wonderful world of rabbits — play games with your bunny, join clubs and organizations, show your rabbit, and make traveling with bunny easy
Open the book and find:
Informative photos and illustrations
Detailed breed descriptions
How to think like a rabbit
Tips for handling bad bunny behavior
The latest on organic cuisine and homegrown feeding options
Games to play with your rabbit
How to live with an indoor bunny (which is recommended!)
Ten signs that require emergency action
A bunch of bunny resources — from rescue groups to registries to Web sites
Cooking Basics For Dummies
by Marie Rama, Bryan Miller
Are you looking to dig yourself out of microwave dinners and learn the ropes of home cooking? Cooking Basics For Dummies, 5th Edition takes the intimidation out of cooking and helps you start cultivating your culinary prowess in no time. From learning fundamental cooking techniques like dicing, chopping, and saut?ing to creating delicious, easy-to-follow recipes, you’ll discover how to cook up crowd-pleasing meals the whole family will enjoy—all without breaking a sweat!
Even if you’ve never cracked an egg, this friendly, practical guide gives you all the ingredients to become a superior home cook. In plain English, it explains step-by-step how to master popular cooking techniques, such as dicing vegetables, hard boiling an egg, making quick and delicious sauces, planning menus, stocking your pantry, and so much more.
- Packed with more than 150 easy-to-follow recipes for every meal of the day, from mouth-watering mains to sumptuous sides to delectable desserts
- Helps you master grilling, slow cooking, baking, roasting, pressure cooking, and more
- Includes tips on adapting meals to meet the latest dietary trends, such as low-sugar, low-sodium, low-fat, plant-based, and vegetarian diets
- Covers shopping at farmer’s markets and buying organic foods
Cooking Basics For Dummies, 5th edition is for every beginner cook or polished chef looking for a refresher on breathing new life into home-cooked meals.
SSAT and ISEE For Dummies
by Vince Kotchian, Curt Simmons
The Secondary School Aptitude Test (SSAT) and Independent School Entrance Examination (ISEE) are the two most common standardized aptitude tests used in American private secondary schools. If you’re a parent or student looking to apply for admissions at a private, military, or boarding school, SSAT & ISEE For Dummies is your family’s ticket to success.
Here, you’ll get all the prep needed to score higher on the SSAT and ISEE exams, the most up-to-date information on the tests, hundreds of practice questions, thorough test-specific math and verbal workouts, six full-length practice tests (all with detailed answer explanations), and solid test-taking advice.
- Correctly answer difficult analogy and synonym questions without knowing what all the words mean
- Ace the math section by eliminating answers that are planted to fool test takers
- Apply the proven For Dummies step-by-step approach to combat the essay portion
- Analyze difficult passages using tips and tricks in the reading comprehension section
- Learn the most common vocabulary words tested on the SSAT and ISEE with an entire chapter devoted to vocabulary terms
- State-by-state “Private Schools at-a-Glance” chart with data on more than 1,000 private secondary schools
SSAT & ISEE For Dummies provides students with the resources they need for test day preparation and gives parents sound, expert advice on selecting, applying, and paying for private school.
eBay Bargain Shopping For Dummies
by Marsha Collier
Written by Marsha Collier, self-professed bargain shopper and best selling author of eBay For Dummies, eBay Bargain Shopping For Dummies is packed with advice and anecdotes from other experts, some of whom make a living buying and selling on eBay. It helps you begin shopping on eBay quickly, safely, and successfully, with information on:
- Using the My eBay Page to keep up with your potential deals
- Using feedback about sellers and shopping safely
- Bidding, buying, and winning
- Things to look for and things to look out for
- Ways to pay, including PayPal
- Taking advantage of eBay’s search functions and refining your searches to zero in on sought-after items
- Shopping eBay’s Bargain Basement
Even successful eBay veterans will discover tips and tricks they didn’t know and bargain shopping secrets. Whether you want to use eBay to seek out and snap up hard-to-find collectibles, or simply to save on everyday purchases, eBay Bargain Shopping For Dummies takes you step-by-step through the process. And to get you started right, the book is a real bargain!
Cast Iron Cooking For Dummies
by Tracy Barr
True, cast iron is old; it’s been around since the Middle Ages. And it is heavy. No one can dispute that even a small, cast-iron pot has a heft to it that no other cookware has. Nevertheless, cast-iron cookware has a place in today’s kitchens, and that doesn’t mean simply hanging on the wall for decoration. Cast iron has much to offer modern-day cooks; it’s easy to use, easy to care for, economical, versatile, and durable, and let’s face it, it has a nostalgic appeal that no other cookware has. But more compelling than all those reasons is that it’s a great cookware that makes great food. In fact, most cast-iron cooks will tell you that food cooked in cast iron tastes better than food cooked in anything else!
Cast-Iron Cooking For Dummies is for those cooks who may want to inject a little adventure and variety into their cooking. If you’ve never even thought of using cast-iron cookware, or you have a few cast-iron pots lying around, you’ll discover all you need to know about making great food using cast iron. Here just a sampling of what you’ll find in Cast-Iron Cooking For Dummies:
- Selecting the right cast-iron cookware for you
- Seasoning a new cast-iron pan
- Caring for your cast-iron cookware
- Discovering techniques to enhance your cast-iron cooking
- Enjoying cast-iron cooking in the Great Outdoors
- Tons of delicious recipes, from main and side dishes to desserts and international dishes
- Top Ten lists on ways to make your cast-iron cookware last longer, the best dishes suited for cast iron, and tips for achieving success in cast-iron cooking
So, whether you’re a cooking novice or an experienced chef, you can find plenty of enjoyment from cooking with cast iron – and Cast-Iron Cooking For Dummies can show you the way.